Welcome to Wednesday’s waste update. Here’s the damage:
Weighing in at Wed May 29th
I’ve taken another photo, with the ‘recyclable’ bags removed, so the weight is down a little more!
Waste weigh in with recyclable bags removed
22 May: 245g
15 May: 80g
8 May: 98g
1 May: 171g
24 Apr: 183g
17 Apr: 172g
4 Apr: 232g
Bedroom 340g on 1 May
Bathroom 626g on 22 May
Overall total =
This week, there was no McDonald’s missions, so that kept waste down (cause thankfully City of Sydney accept pizza boxes in recycling :D)
- Toilet paper bag: used as a ‘bin bag’ to collect and easily weight my waste. I could move to paper wrapped loo paper from the co-op
- Almond meal bag: something the co-op doesn’t sell in bulk. Maybe I should look into making my own?
- Noddle bag: again, rice noodles not a bulk item at my co-op. Wonder where else might sell them bulk in Sydney?
- Cookie bag: gift from a colleague – waxy paper with a plastic window
- Command 3m hooks packaging + backing strips: Y’all know how much I love these things, and I needed to expand my spice ‘rack’
- Jar seals: Why do glass jars with metal lids come with a plastic ‘seal’ over the lid? Is the ‘pop top’ not enough. Grr!
- Razor tray: yes I bought a large quantity of razors (a long while ago) and I just tidied the drawer they were in and removed the plastic ‘tray’ they came in. I’d hoped buying 10 would lessen the overall impact of the packaging, though I’m dubious.
Here’s what’s inside the bag of trash for this week.
Non-plastics/or ‘I’m not sure *what* that is
- Butter paper: someone suggested I could compost/bokashi these, but I’m not 100% sure?
- Baking paper: Usually I’d reuse it, but this got a little brown and crispy
- Foil-y bag: from a snack on site, which was protein balls. Why didn’t I just get a banana? Hindsight is 20/20
- Sticker: from a yoghurt pot I’m reusing. If the pot is recyclable, is the sticker? Or is that something removed in the recycling process? I wasn’t sure, so I trashed it
- Blister packs: the last of the lozenges
Back on track after a ‘heavy’ week last week. Whilst in some ways it’s seems like I’ve plateaued, I’m still turning things over in my head. Looking at the choices I’m making, and what alternatives there are, which I’ve drafted a post on. Things like, a metal handled razor, or even a razor with replaceable blades (rather than ‘disposable’ like I use now). Toliet paper could be bought elsewhere. I could do away with some food stuffs that keep coming up with non recyclable packaging? Seeing two are gluten free products, I’m loathed the limit my diet further!
Actually, I need to familiarise myself more with Coles’ supermarket’s plastic bag recycling policy, as pictured in this post, to see if some bags could head there for recycling. Right! That’s on the to do list for the week. <– done this, see the edit above!
As always, alternatives and suggestions warmly welcomed.