I think I need a catchier name for the ‘new’ and the ‘old’ house. Let’s call the old house the loft, and the new one… well, I’ll take votes!
I thought I’d share a snapshot of my Day 1 list (the day after move day), when I took the day off to ‘catch up’
Now, for the list going forward. I drafted this post a few days ago, so there’s already some updates:
- complete the condition report for the agent
- start taking photos for the blog (and the condition report!)
oil hinges (pronto!)canola spray worked a treat
- hooks for scarves Ikea seems most promising
- remove wardrobe shelf to get use of existing rail
- use large hooks on rail for coats and jackets – so far no luck at our big hardware chain
- location for big mirror (previously in the bedroom in the loft)
buy hardware for bed head ledgeThank you to the bf for taking me to the hardware store on Wed night
- remake bedhead ledge (and modify as needed)
- maybe mount mirror here (if not in entryway)
- get power situation sorted with lamps, phones etc bought stuff on Wed night…
- plane door so it closes!
- buy more Ikea hangers so the BF’s things are all hung consistently (one of my ‘things’)
- rationalise all things stored here (in case we rent it out)
- get floating shelves fitted
- new desk?
- plug in lamp
- get approval to hang framed scarf
- reconstruct sofa
- reconstruct arc lamp
- place stools once the two above have settled
rehouse the cleaning box(rationalise contents too) put it in the laundry cupboard
- plane floating shelf to fit adjusted location
store condiments(maybe rearrange shelves/cupboards to get ideal location) <- I did exactly that, simple!
- find a storage place for manuals
- get approval for a vacuum hanging apparatus?
- move dryer to floor – need extension cord The BF’s task for the weekend!
General stuff to sort out
- where to hang additional towel?
- buy (small) outdoor furniture & BBQ?
- buy new TV (& cabinet) as old TV been recalled
- second washing machine
- second vacuum
second microwavelisted on Gumtree, should offer it also through Facebook to friends
- second mop
- second hand mixer and on and on…
So it’s nowhere near as comprehensive as when I moved into the loft. I wanted to paint walls, and replace tap ware and all that sort of ‘big’ stuff. So it’s definitely more manageable, but I have to resist the internal pull to get it all done ‘NOW!’ And this list says nothing of the ‘quirks’ I haven’t worked out how to maximize – weird walls, and centering stuff etc. I took a bath for the first time since I was a kid last night, and I’m thinking ‘those hooks above the TV aren’t centered, they look weird, I need to fix that’. Evidently I need more baths and less thinking about hooks!
This weekend should get a few more things ticked off, combined with a birthday dinner for my mother and a lemon meringue pie. Yummo!