Today I’m moving house, so in light of this momentous occasion, I thought it time to shine a light on all the things I loved in my ‘old’ place.
When you select your home, you do so based on lots of factors. Obvious things like number of rooms, location, proximity to amenities, and mostly: the price! Then there are things that as you start to live in a place you realise you’re lucky to have. First, let me share with you my list of things I was looking for when I was looking to buy:
- Close to public transport, as I don’t own my own car
- Linen closet
- Bathroom with a window (compromised on this!)
- No lift (keeps the fees down, also compromised)
- Character – such as a loft, or oversized windows, timber or polished concrete floors etc
- Close to amenities, like a grocery store
But here’s all the things that I love, and hadn’t even considered!
- The double height bedroom railing makes drying sheets easy, so I don’t need a clothes dryer!
- The hallway orientation allows me a landing station, and a great place to store all my outwear and accessories
- Over sized kitchen drawers mean I can store more than the usual drawer
- My carspace have two walls and a pillar keeps cars safe (even if it took a while to master parking in it). It also makes storing things in the spot easier
- I live walking distance to my grocery store, the GP, 3-4 friends, butcher, beautican, baker, green grocer AND an Op shop (thrift store). I can also walk to church
- The bus from the city stops RIGHT outside my door – so shopping til I drop is possible (why is the city so exhausting?) And the train is only 3 blocks.
- My bathroom makes it possible to use a tension bar, solving how to air out running clothes, hang things to be ironed etc
I’m sure once I settle into my new home, I’ll realise more things I miss about this charmer, but for now, these are the things I know, love and will miss!