I had an overnight trip away this past weekend, and spent most of Monday window shopping whilst the bf worked. Oh my, days off are nice. I didn’t buy anything. I thought it was because I was ‘too picky’ (you might agree by the end of this post!) so I thought I’d look into what I like/don’t like and how I make a decision on buying clothes. You can see how much I already have in my wardrobe here in my clothing inventory post. If you like a good sticky beak, come back every day next week to look inside my other cupboards and drawers. That’s right, five days of checking out what stuff I have and what it looks like – I hope you’re looking forward to it as much as I am!
Firstly, I don’t specifically budget for clothes. Usually, I budget for holidays, and part and parcel with that is a large amount of clothing purchases. Otherwise, there’s incidental clothing purchased, but it’s pretty irregular. Sometimes I’ll be in need of something to replace something that’s worn out, or seems to be missing from my wardrobe. Very rarely, I’ll impulse buy something, but it’ll almost always fit to my ‘rules’ meaning I’ll most likely wear it, like it, and it’ll fit in with other things I own.
Right, here we go!
- Black and whites
- Cerise/pink-y red
- Grey (thanks for reminding me EofK)
- Boat neck
- V neck dresses
- Straight top on singlets
- Tunic dresses
- Bootleg/straight leg pants
- Bow detailing or ribbon detailing
- Gauzy detailing/pattern in with a flat colour fabric (see the bad photo below!)
- Military themed styles (just not in khaki/greeny colours!)
- Muted point on shoes
- Wide heels (so much more comfortable and easy to walk in)
- Mary Jane style
- Ballet flats
Colours I dislike
- military greens
- cream (cause it’s too hard to match)
- most prints, like
- animal prints,
- small florals etc
Styles I dislike
- Raglan sleeves
- Short and 3/4 sleeves in wool knit tops (hot fabric + shorter sleeve just doesn’t make sense to me!)
- Pants with pleats
- Skinny legs (esp with zips) – though I might be coming around on this one!
- Cargo pants
- Peaky tops of singlets
- Boxy/shapeless tops
- Cropped tops (alas I have one item like this, but I have a matching singlet, so they go together well)
- Wedge heels
- Peep toes (then I have to paint my toes)
- Visible stitching on shoes
- Bags with too many pockets/visible stitching/details
I didn’t mention in my list, but I do have a consideration into the fabric types. For jumpers and other winter wear, I look for warm, natural fabrics like wool and cashmere. I don’t like ‘fabrics made from plastic bags’ – ie synthetics, especially in summery clothes as I know I’ll swelter. That’s not to say I refuse to wear synthetics, but I’ll often reject something knowing it’ll be too hot to wear in summer and style inappropriate for winter. Although, one thing I love synthetics for is work out gear, keeps you cool and dry!
How about you, how do you select the clothes you do buy and what makes you reject other items?