Sorry to be Debbi Downer here, but hey, this is about my lists, and this is a list I actually have! These ingredients are enough to make me skip over the dish containing it in a menu. Or even find another recipe for that dish!
Now, the key to this is perhaps my readers inspiring me with recipes that might change my mind on these foods:
- Coriander (o rcilanto) – absolutely positively NOT. Tastes like stink bugs smell. EWWW
- Corn – I can manage it, but I will omit it from recipes. but I eat polenta, and corn chips, so you know, I’m slipping it in there!
- Chili – burns my mouth. But, Economies of Kale’s Dosa recipe helped me try a little bit with chili flakes and I kinda liked it…
- Mushrooms – soggy mess. However I will add them to casseroles/stews etc where their taste is disguised. But the texture is an issue too
- Avocado – slimy yuck. Not enhanced by less than fresh sushi recently
- Chunky chicken – so, this is for any meat really, that makes me work around bones and sinew. You know, like a chicken all chopped up at Chinese? I love the breast, but wings, no way!
- Cucumber – hmm, actually it’s ok, just, in small doses. Like in raita.
- Sausages – that mouth explosion is just scary. But I will eat a good quality sausage occasionally
- Beef stroganoff – boarding school made this look like dog food, so you read ‘beef stroganoff’ and I read ‘Pal’ (a leading dog food brand)
- Tomato (by itself) – slimy, often tasteless… I don’t know what it is. I’m ok with bruschetta and tomato-y sauces (not ketchup, but you know, on pasta)
- Plastic cheese – need I say more? It shouldn’t be shiny. You should wonder if the wrapper is still on it.
- Almond flavored stuff – I can manage almond, but almond flavouring makes me cringe, so I’ll just pass all that mazipan straight to mum.
- Coconut – when it gets stuck in my throat. I’m ok with coconut milk and cream, just not the dry desiccated stuff.
- Cherry flavored stuff – love cherries, hate ‘fake’ cherries. Why does it change so much?
- Paw paw – oh my, this just tastes and smells like vomit to me. And sometimes, I put it in my mouth when I mistake it for mango in a fruit salad.
- Rockmelon (cantaloupe melon) – I’m just not sure, the taste isn’t right. And another 8 years of boarding school having it available every single night probably didn’t help
So as not to make the mood all bad and sad, on Monday I’ll post my perfectly awesome brownie recipe, and that should see everyone on the up and up.
In other news
I read a number of personal finance blogs, because they interest me. I’ve started interacting on a fairly regular level, and it’s landed me some mentions. It’s the custom to acknowledge their links to you, and return the favour, so I thought I’d mention them back here! I hope you enjoy their content like I do.
Twice I’ve been a ‘top commenter’ on Kyle and Emily’s blog Evolving Personal Finance. It’s nice to get mentioned and the link up for doing something I enjoy – commenting!
If I’ve missed mentioning you, I’m awfully sorry, send me a swift reminder via email or comments, and I can hastily rectify it for you!
What foods don’t you like? What will you use to help you ‘deselect’ menu choices or do you always chose on favourites? Or new and interesting flavour combinations?