Sadly, I just never got ‘into’ Broken by Laura Hillenbrand. It’s a pretty good sign I’m not that into a book when it doesn’t migrate to my handbag to be toted around ‘just in case’ I have time to read.
So on Sunday I decided to call it a forfeit, and start on the other library book I had on hand Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah. I’m not quite halfway through it (and I’ve been reading it, in conjunction with catching up on my daily bible reading, which can be a little heavy and slow going). I think it speaks for itself that I’m so far along already, but I’m not at the review stage (yet). It’s certainly a cold, heavy tale of loss at the moment, and whilst I might hazard a guess of where it’s going, I can’t be sure. I hate to ‘ruin’ a story by guessing it for myself, I’m happier just to go along for the ride.
Hopefully, next week I’ll be back with a proper review. Here’s what’s on my reading list, should you be interested:
1. The power of habit : why we do what we do, and how to change / Charles Duhigg
2. The paradox of choice : why more is less / Barry Schwartz.
3. Make the bread, buy the butter : what you should and shouldn’t cook from scratch : over 120 recipes for the best homemade foods / Jennifer Reese.
4. I quit sugar : your complete 8-week detox program and cookbook / Sarah Wilson.
5. The Happiness Project : or, why i spent a year trying to sing in the morning, clean my closets, fight right, read aristotle, and generally have more fun / Gretchen Rubin.
6. Eugenia : a true story of adversity, tragedy, crime and courage / Mark Tedeschi.
7. Young House Love / Sherry and John Petersik *not currently at my library :(*
8. Zero Waste Home / Bea Johnson *awaiting it to get to the library*
Bestsellers/blockbusters (or novels!)
1. An instance of the fingerpost / Pears, Iain.
2. Perfume : the story of a murderer / Patrick Süskind ; translated by John E. Woods.
3. A game of thrones. / George R. R. Martin
Taking recommendations for novels, as all the books on my list at the library seem to be super popular – namely the non fiction ones.