Fridays I try to make ‘goal review day’, so this will be a mix match of a number of things! First, for the finances!
Work was due to back pay me since 7th Feb, and on Thursday last week I received the letter saying it’d been approved. Sadly, it wasn’t added to this week’s pay. Sadly, cause I used my rostered day off last Friday to start spending it :p Rest assured, between my ’emergency fund’ (which none of these expenses are!), my bills savings account AND my 12 in 2 savings account, I muddled things together so I could pay my credit card this week, like every week, for the following out of the ordinary expenses:
1. $300: New Camper shoes. My old campers have holes – that let in water. New shoes were critical. I have no end of trouble with shoes and comfort. Campers have worked before, so I thought I’d go for quality and hoepfully this pair will wear in as well as the last pair. I’ve been wearing the (dead) campers since May 2011, so that’s almost two years – far longer than my usual everyday casual shoe. Though when I say ‘everyday’ I should explain I wear steel capped boots to work, so this is weekend and holiday wear (along with a few other pairs). I do, however, walk 2-3kms in these sorts of shoes, so that’s a bit of wear.
2. $205 Flights to Brisbane. Whilst at a wedding over the weekend, I received an invitation for an engagement picnic in my former home town of Brisbane. I don’t need much of a reason to head back to Brisbane and catch up with friends, so on Tuesday I bought my flights for the first weekend in May.
3. $89 Knife Skills Course. This is part of my 12 in 2 goals, and I’ll be doing it on 11 May!
Now, for the house updates on house project (see the original, somewhat dated list here – compiling three lists from my move in in Jan 2011, again in May 2011 and then in Jan 2012)
– Empty out box – on going, always donating, but always adding things. Currently have excess birdcage hanging chains & yellow ribbon, a shower head…
– Install small ledges for displaying things – bought the shelves with a returns voucher last Friday – yet to be installed or definitely yay or nah’ed
– Regrout corners – oh yes I did – see this post – Get bath resurfacing fixed – quick buff smoothed things out. The colour is still off. And I even tried a ‘cool’ white globe instead of the usual ‘warm’ I prefer.
– Open shelf lighting – no, but I did install that great LED lighting track, which I show pictures in my Easter long weekend round up, which flow into the shelving area
– Pantry lighting?
– Wall art – have been looking actively. The space isn’t the right proportions for my Stamp Map of the World though.
Wine rack – look what I found abandoned on the roadside of Maudy Thursday! I wanted something with a ‘counter top’ and then underneath I wanted some place to store wine. Once I removed the second shelf, I could slot in my existing wine rack. Great compromise for $0, cause the wine rack came form Freecycle!
– Frosting on the windows – certainly not ‘cheap’ like I thought in my previous matrix of ‘easy/hard/cheap/pricey’ but so pleased it’s done. No more flashing the footy players, and no more ‘effort’ of blind shutting. I wrote about it here – Replace blinds – removed from the list. Seems of negligible value given I keep them all rolled up now that I have frosting, and curtains in the bedroom.
– Sliding Screen door – need to find a supplier as the one I tried off the shelf was the wrong height. I loved that it was retractable though!
– Bird cage display – At long last, I got those beauties hanging in an unsed space! See more on my post here
Niche/Bedroom storage area
– recarpet – AGH I keep calling them and they never call me back. If I had someone else to call, I would!
– complete ‘hide the niche’ project – delivered the shutters to a handy woodworking friend. I’m not holding my breath that they’ll ever be made to size :s
Updated House to do list
Decide on entryway ledges, hang or return (completed June 2013)
- Dining room wall art (+ above the sofa art too)
- Pantry lighting?
- Sliding screen door
Recarpet niche(completed June 13)
- Hide niche
Of course, I’m sure little creative things will flit on and off this list with my whims. I never mentioned in these posts of yesteryear new cushion covers, or stamp wall art or putting a decorative backing my bathroom cupboard, but I did them all!